Friday, May 11, 2012

Missouri Trip Report Day 1 (Thursday May 11)

I'm not going to recount the drive, which was too long.

Yesterday I fished a private farm lake with my cousin Jack of Jack's Guide Service fame. His uncle is the founder of US Reels, a spinning tackle manufacturer, and this lake is used for testing. As you can see, it's a bit bigger than your average farm pond:


Unfortunately, most of the fish we caught were about this size, which prompted some goofy expressions:

On the flipside, with 20 or so largemouth and three bluegill to the boat, I about doubled my lifetime total of largemouth on the fly. The #1 fly was a #2 chartreuse and white Mighty Murdich Minnow, with small Clouser droppers in chartreuse bringing a few bass and the panfish. Jack, as might be guessed by his boat, is a hardware angler. He did quite well in terms of numbers on various soft plastic baitfish and spinnerbaits.

Today I caught the first smallies of the trip, and the moral of the story is that next time I need to tie more Mighty Murdiches, especially the gray & white one, but I have a friend to meet for dinner, so I'll go over that later.

1 comment:

  1. For those who have enthusiasm for fishing and would like to try learning new tips to get better at it, continue reading for great advice!

    fishing tips

    ReplyDelete